Friday, January 15, 2016

LBCC Advice: What Students Should Know

As a fellow student here at LBCC I would like my college experience to be a great one. For this very reason I have decided to interview some of our amazing staff here at LBCC to figure out some advice they wish every student knew.
Andrew Vosgien a mathematics professor expresses what he wishes every student did “I wish students wouldn’t wait so long to get help. I get so many students around weeks 9/10 asking what they can do to pass.” Vosgien stated that if each student would make an effort to speak up in class when they didn’t understand, it would make his teaching life a lot easier. Andrew also let me know that side conversations in class were a common annoyance. “ You can see the reactions of students behind the student that’s being disruptive.” As being a student who always got “talks too much in class” on her progress report, this was great for me to know. 
Sharece Bunn was another person I had the pleasure of speaking with. She informed me that she likes it when students take control of their studies and know where they are headed in their academic year. Something she admires from students is honesty. “I once had a student tell me that he didn’t do his schoolwork because he chose his family life over it. I really respected him for that.” Bunn also said that having a strong support network helped her to do well in college.
All of the staff I spoke to at LBCC had a genuine attitude and wanted to help as much as they could. I feel that if we understand that professors were once students themselves it would greatly benefit us as students. I am very happy that I chose to attend Linn Benton Community College and next time I want to compliment a girl on her jacket during a lecture or check my phone I will refrain and give my professors the respect they deserve.



No comments:

Post a Comment